Wednesday 16 October 2013

Five Inspiring Things



















Jimmy Corrigan The Smartest Kid On Earth
I find Chris Ware's work infinitely fascinating. In this book his serene and faultless colour palettes and crafted ink lines blend so well with the tone of the story. His prolific and immaculate working process serves as a massive inspiration to me.


















Buffy The Vampire Slayer

The level of care and attention that went into making this show is refreshing. The character arcs and chronology of events is so intricately woven that its hard to find fault. Joss Whedon has such a massive creative output because he's simply addicted to making work which I feel is something of an enviable quality.





















Luke Pearson
I find Luke Pearson's work consistently exciting because its always so varied but has a distinguishable and unique quality that makes it instantly recognisable, without being repetitive and tiresome. It has a whimsical side, expertly balanced with realism to make work thats charming but relatable.


















The Simpsons
I've been obsessed with The Simpsons for most of my life. It's iconic, timeless and consistently impeccable for, arguably, 10 to 15 seasons, (alas I haven't seen past season 15 as the DVD box-sets are yet to be released). It finds the perfect balance between stupid and clever, funny and heartfelt, and the bright and simple design is slick, clearly communicated and instantly recognisable.


Understanding Comics
Reading this made me start thinking about making work in a much more calculated and technical way. I'd never considered the theory behind making and reading comics but this book changed my thought processes entirely and made me much more analytical of works. The way its presented is ideal for the subject and makes all the heavy information a joy to absorb.

No comments:

Post a Comment