Thursday 8 May 2014

End of Module Evaluation

Leeds College of Art
BA (Hons) ILLUSTRATION
Level
04
OUIL401 Context of Pratice
Credits
20
End of Module Self Evaluation

NAME
 Hollie Smith


1.  What skills have you developed through this brief and how effectively do you think you have applied them?
i think this module has improved my analytical skills as I was thinking in detail about the intentions and meaning within cartoons in order to replicate them in my work. Also I learnt to reinterpret existing visual material in my own way and use it in a project of my own direction, by studying following the conventions of existing cartoons. 

2. What approaches to/methods of image making have you developed and how have they informed your concept development process? big sheets
For the actual pieces I used a method I'm comfortable with because I didn't allow time for it to go wrong, but I tried to consider my use of colour more than I previously have with watercolour, mostly as I was trying to replicate the aesthetic of the shows. In the development process I used some large sheets for a change instead of my sketchbook which was really good for character design because I could see all my previous attempts at once and pick out the parts that worked before to put them all together. 

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these? 
I think it can be considered a strength that I made the three comics to an acceptable standard over a period of 24 hours, although this is obviously not a way I intend to work every again its nice to know I can produce large amounts of work in a short space of time when I'm using methods I'm well established with. I could use this by spreading that productivity out over days and that way I could become massively more productive as I often struggle to work solidly for a long period of time if there's no element of urgency and I feel this greatly hinders my progress.
In

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?
I made the stupid error of neglecting this project when I got stuck with it. From the beginning it was not going well because I put off the essay and put my full effort into Visual Narratives,  meaning I recieved a failing grade at the interim deadline because I spent a total of three hours writing complete nonsense in a panic. This set me up for a failure with COP 2 because it was based upon the essay, which I failed, so straight away there wasn't a solid foundation for the project and I struggled to find a subject to explore. Naturally I then did the stupidest possible thing and abandoned the project to work on other briefs because the frustration of trying to find something to study deterred me from trying. This got increasingly worse to the point where there was just over a week before the deadline so the stress of the looming deadline eventually spurred me to force out some substandard work. I then spent far too long trying to rewrite the essay leaving only a day to develop complete the final works. The drawings themselves turned out okay but the pitiful level of preparation and development that went into them has severely diminished the quality. I'm endlessly frustrated at myself for allowing this level of total incompetence but at least I know the reason I struggled was due to the level of negligence I displayed. Needless to say this shan't happen again.

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

1. Not neglect the project if I reach a dead end. It is the absolute worst possible solution to the problem. In doing this I might be able to make a project I'm not ashamed to show to people.

2. A lot more development work. This is definitely what was lacking in this project and compared to other work I've made it's obvious which one was the result of rigorous preparation process and which was the result of total negligence.

3. I will put more work into written tasks and allow time for them rather than favouring the creative work. This way I can avoid the stress of completing this tasks right before the deadline.

4. I will plan my time more efficiently and be more aware of time in relation to the deadline. By doing this I can make better use of my time and plan the project out to fit into that available space of time. 

5. Once again I will blog more, but I write this in every evaluation. Specifically regarding the final work I made I want to try different materials to make a comic next time because a formula is starting to develop of brush pen and watercolour/digital colouring. I'd like to try something more shape based, perhaps paint with no outline. I could experiment with this in the final PPP project, in which I hope to redeem myself. 


6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance


 x


Punctuality


 x


Motivation
x



Commitment
x



Quantity of work produced
x



Quality of work produced
x



Contribution to the group
x



The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self-evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.


A copy of your end of module self evaluation should be posted to your studio practice blog. This should be the last post before the submission of work and will provide the starting point for the assessment process. Post a copy of your evaluation to your PPP blog as evidence of your own on going evaluation.


Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment